I’m a counselor at a middle school (grades 6-8, approx. 1,600 students) and I often ask students what they’re reading. This morning I asked our librarians for a list of the most popular books that kids are checking out now. Here are the top 10 books that have been checked out within the past 4 months:
1. The Ghost of Graylock, Dan Poblocki – Middle grade. Graylock Hall was a mental asylum which helped heal children and teenagers until several of them died; now it’s haunted.
2. Guinness World Records, 2012, editor-in-chief, Craig Glenday. “From the Olympic to the Apocalyptic…Discover fully updated records and features.”
5. Wild Life, Cynthia DeFelice. Middle grade. Erik attempts to survive in the woods with his dog and a rifle.
6. Hidden Talents, David Lubar. Middle grade. Martin attends an alternative school where he discovers that he’s not a loser; in fact he has hidden talents.
7. Dead is the New Black, Marlene Perez. Young Adult. Only the most popular girl in school can make looking dead fabulous.
8. The Lost Hero/ Heroes of Olympus, Rick Riordan. Middle grade. This follows the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
9. The Sea of Trolls, Nancy Farmer. Middle grade. Fantasy adventure which mixes legends and facts.
10. Wereling, Steve Feasey. Young Adult. Trey goes to sleep a boy and wakes up a beast.